High Tea

Polly Put the Kettle On
Polly Put the Kettle On
Polly Put the Kettle On
We'll all have Tea

Suki Take it Off Again
Suki Take it Off Again
Suki Take it Off Again
They've All Gone Away


I love pretty cake plates and tablewear as it all looks so wonderful on a large table laid out for high tea. Boiled eggs and soldiers to start with, or maybe home made bread with home made raspberry or strawberry jam followed by a brightly coloured jelly maybe orange or raspberry or even strawberry and tinned or fresh fruit with cream. These were always served in deep cut bowls, sometimes green sometimes clear. Then followed by sausage rolls, scones with dark fleshy fruit dotted around, malt loaf, cream horns, a Victoria sponge or chocolate cake and lots of tea. From a very early age I was always fascinated by high tea especially at my grandmothers where she used to serve big rustic home made baps filled with potted beef (or as it is known in our family potted donkey). Cakes were always served on glass pedestals that reflected the rays of light and they always looked so tall and magnificent to a small child. And on really special occasions she used to make home made cheesecake - proper cheesecake where she had made the curds and soaked sultanas and raisins and then added them to a pastry base. If there is one thing that I miss about my Nan's cooking this is one of them - ah lovely memories.

My grandmother also had a proper china cabinet filled with special bits and pieces, some of which were inherited from her own mother and I think her love of beautiful things rubbed off on me as I love beautiful china and Victorian pressed glass and coloured glass.

Do you celebrate high tea or is it a custom like so many that is fading into oblivion. I'd love to hear what you do - after all we create our own traditions our own customs based on our own ethos and beliefs.

Comments

Popular Posts