LAVENDERS BLUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYrdEBLecZg
Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen


Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so


Call up your friends, dilly, dilly
Set them to work
Some to the plough, dilly dilly,
Some to the fork


Some to the hay, dilly dilly,
Some to thresh corn
Whilst you and I, dilly dilly,
Keep ourselves warm


Lavender's blue, dilly dilly,
Lavender's green
When you are King, dilly dilly,
I shall be Queen


Who told you so, dilly dilly,
Who told you so?
'Twas my own heart, dilly dilly,
That told me so

Its wonderful to see the lavender in full bloom it creates such a lovely sight and such a lovely fragrance. I don't have any lavender here at the moment,
but one day I aim to have a mini lavender avenue along the path in the back garden edging the lawn and also in the front garden edging the path as well. I intend to set my own seed and grow the plants on and then do some standards as well as having the line.


I absolutely adore Lavender, it smells just so lovely. I have been addicted to lavender since I was a wee tot; one of my first sewing lessons was to make a lavender bag for my mum at school. I remember mine was a green taffeta heart shaped affair trimmed with a dainty white lace. I was so proud to have actually made something and I think then is when I really started to make things. Such little things give lots of pleasure and make your undies smell lovely as well. Unfortunately that lavender bag was lost long ago. Mum used it for many years to scent the sheets in the airing cupboard, refreshing the lavender yearly, but there was a burst with the water tank and it ended up being badly stained and I think thats when mum chucked it.

My mum's neighbour has a full border of lavender in her front garden. She unfortunately does not use the lavender, so mum gets it for me from her. Needless to say I make use of it with little lavender bags and shoe stuffers etc. It scents the linen wonderfully.

Lavender can be used in cookery and one of the recipes that attracts me and one I intend to have a go at some point soon is Lamb cooked in hay with a dressing of lavender flowers on it.

You can also make a lavender sugar for decorating cookies and/or decorating cakes or being incorpoated in the mix. It has to be used in moderation, however here is a cookie recipe

Ingredients

4oz butter
6 tablespoons caster sugar
6 oz plain flour plus a little extra for dusting
2 tablespoon of fresh lavender florets or 1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender roughly chopped.

Cream the butter together with 4 tablespoons of the sugar until light and fluffy and the mixture has gone to a light creamy yellow. Stir in the flour and the lavender and bring the mixture together forming it into a soft ball. Put in a bowl and cover and leave to chill in the fridge for approximately 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C, 400 degrees F or Gas mark 6. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and stamp out about 18 cookies using a heart shaped or disc shaped cutter (or cutter of your choice). Place on a heavy bakin sheet and bake for about 10 minutes until lightly golden.

Leave the cookies standing for 5 minutes then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool.

Comments

Popular Posts