Sweet Garlic & Onion Chutney



For the past couple of years I have been buying an onion and garlic relish from Waitrose. I don't normally buy that many sauces/chutneys as I love making this type of thing myself. However, I had tried several onion/garlic combination and could never find a recipe that was flavoursome and packed a punch. That is until now. Its lovely with any sort of cheese or as the basis to a gravy where you want a garlicky impact. It doesn't make a great deal but what I tend to do is make several small batches at once, and if I have a partially filled jar from one batch I fill it up with the second batch and so on. I use Le Parfait style jars and seals and after fastening the clasp, I put the jars into a pan of water, heating up to boiling point and processing for 30 minutes to take any air air out of the jars, to make the preserve keep for longer. Its a very simple very tasty recipe.

It makes approximately 2 small jars

Ingredients

2 large white onions finely chopped
50ml olive oil
50ml white wine vinegar
300g sugar
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp turmeric
4 bulbs of garlic
salt and pepper


Method

Heat olive oil in a heavy based pan and fry the onions until soft. Add the white wine vinegar, sugar, thyme and turmeric. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved into the mix and there are no granules left.

Peel and chop the garlic and simmer for about 20 minutes

At this point taste the chutney, if it is too sweet add a splash more vinegar and season. This chutney can be adapted to suit your own palate.

Allow to cool and then transfer to a glass jar, once opened store in the fridge.

Comments

Popular Posts