Autumn Pumpkin Chutney

Well I have started to see the odd pumpkins about and I absolutely love Pumpkin.  As you might have guessed Pumpkin and Squash is a firm favourite in this household. I developed a liking for it when I went to Australia some 30 years or so ago.

I am always on the look out for new recipes and I have found the following recipe in some cut outs of recipes I had put to one side.  I am not sure where its from, (the recipe that is)  but Pumpkin season is already here if you grow your own and I am hoping that it will shortly be available for me to buy so that I can feed my pumpkin passion and freeze some down for the winter months (we love it roasted and I prepare this for the freezer and then just drag it out as I need it.  I always make sure I have a couple of pumpkins for the cold shelf as well.

The orangey colour of this chutney is enough to cheer the heart on a cold winters night.  We love chutneys of any description and I am hoping that its as good as the recipe promises.

Makes approximately 1 1/2lbs

Ingredients:

1lb 12 oz pumpkin washed
1 onion
1 large cooking apple washed and cored
2 yellow peppers washed and de-seeded
7oz demerara sugar
1 1/4 pint red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves

Method

  1. Cut the pumpkin into large pieces keeping the skin on but discarding the membrane and seeds.  Cut into small chunks and put in a heavy based pan.
  2. Chop the onion, apple and peppers into 1/2 inch pieces and add to the pan with the sugar, vinegar and spices. Heat over a low heat to start with and keep on stirring until the sugar has dissolved.  Simmer for about 50 minutes or so stirring occasionally.
  3. When the chutney is ready it will "smell wonderfully aromatic". The pumpkin should just be holding its shape but will have softened and the juices should be shiny and just sufficient to cover the vegetables.
  4. Remove from the heat and carefully spoon into sterile jars. Cover. 
  5. Leave approximately a month before using allowing the preserve time to "Mature".  Store in a cool dry place.
I think this would be a good one to have with goats cheese or in a ploughmans platter  - or how about adding a couple of spoonfuls to a casserole or stew.

Comments

  1. Oh yummy, I will have to have a go at this one!!

    P: I cannot find the recipe for the dried apricot jam, can you email it to me please. Many thanks............

    A.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts