Leftover Chicken

Well the herb roasted chicken was super yesterday very tasty and in the spirit of waste not want not I have a load of cooked chicken to use up off the carcass, and a carcass to make some fabby dabby chicken stock from.  I was therefore very pleased to find a simple recipe to cook up using both these items, and this is what we have as part of tomorrow night's tea.  I wanted something quick to serve as part of tea tomorrow as I am going out in the evening.  I like light dishes and of late I am becoming slightly addicted to noodles they are quite filling without being too fattening and I could do with losing some weight.

The recipe for Chicken noodle soup has come from the Good Food Eat Well magazine, although I have adapted it for my needs and to suit what I have available in the house at present and what needs using up.  I intend to serve with some bread rolls of some description.  If I get time I may even make some toffee apple pieces with ice cream for afters.

Ingredients:

850ml/1 1/2 pints of chicken or vegetable stock
1 boneless skinless chicken breast (about 175g/6 oz)
1 teaspoon of fresh chopped ginger
1 garlic lcove finely chopped
50g/2 oz rice or wheat noodles
2 tablespoons of frozen or tinned sweetcorn
2-3 mushrooms thinly sliced
2 spring onions shredded
2 tsp soy sauce plus extra for serving
mint or basil leaves and a little shredded chilli (optional) to serve

  1. Pour the stock into a pan and add the chicken, ginger and garlic, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat, partly cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken to a board and shred into bite sized pieces using a couple of forks.
  2. Return the chicken to the stock with the noodles, sweetcorn, mushrooms half the spring onions and the soy sauce.  Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes until the noodles are tender.  Ladle into two bowls and scatter over the remaining spring onions, herbs and chilli shreds if using.  Serve with extra soy sauce for sprinkling.

My Variation


I have made the stock myself from scratch - it is cooking as we speak I have made a big pot of stock as I can use to make some to make Gazpacho later on in the week.  I really want to take advantage of the herbs in the garden.

I have used 6 oz of cooked chicken shredded which was left over from the herbed roast chicken.  The rest will be used in salad pittas for either lunch or tea or possibly a chicken salad with a peanut satay dressing.

I had leek, red onion, tinned sweetcorn, red pepper, chestnut mushroom and ordinary mushrooms left over in the fridge together with dried egg noodles, spring onions and mint leaves.

Will let you know what it tastes like tomorrow.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

xx

UPDATE

Well this was quite a nice soup.  OH doesn't normally do homemade soup normally leaves it to me, but this time he had two bowlfuls.  It is quite a light soup, but equally quite filling (well it was for me as I don't have a big appetite at the best of times) but best of all for me was that it was made out of ingredients that I readily had to hand in the fridge, so I was quite chuffed as I didn't have to spend anything  as had everything to hand.  Will certainly be making this one again.

Comments

Popular Posts