Mango Chutney - First version

This is the recipe I made the other day and I have to say that I am very taken with this even though I haven't officially tasted it yet.  Smells like Branston Pickle.  I always leave my chutneys at least a month before tasting.

The recipe is from Jams and Chutneys by Thane Prince.

Ingredients

1 1/2lb mixed dried fruit such as apricots figs dates peaches sultanas raisins
3lb Mangoes chopped
1 1/2lb light muscovado sugar
2 large onions chopped
6 plump garlic cloves chopped
2oz fresh root ginger peeled and grated
1-2 dried red chillies crushed
1 tablespoon of salt
1 litre cidre or distilled malt vinegar (I used Vintage Cider Vinegar)


Method

Cut larger pieces of the dried fruit into small pieces.
Transfer all the dried fruit into a heavy based pan or maslin pan and put in all the rest of the ingredients.

Bring the mixture to a rolling boil and then reduce the heat simmering until the chutney has thickened.  Stir to stop it sticking on the bottom of the pan.

When the mixture has thickened and whilst it is very hot pour or ladle into hot sterilised jars and then cover with vinegar proof lids and label.

Leave to mature for a month before using

Comments

Popular Posts