2011.09.09 My Day So far

Today is the anniversary of 9/11 where so many were harmed unnecessarily, and left a legacy of ill health for a lot of the survivors as well as a lot of heartache for those bereaved.  So unnecessary.

Its been a quiet, industrious day here at Pattypans. I am on holiday and beavering away with the preserving.  Mind you I am enjoying myself even though at times it is hard work. We went foraging earlier on and I came back with over a kilogramme of hawthorn berries, which are destined for Haw Sin Sauce - this is the first time I have used haws so it has been a new experience all the way round.  My hands smelt very fragrant after picking the berries in the first place, and I have topped them and taken the leaves off as best I can and they are awaiting the final processing, which is likely to be later on as I am over to my friends in a short while although I am hoping that I will be able to escape and get on with the berry processing a little earlier than I normally do.  

I also bought back rosehips and I have topped and tailed them cut them in half and scraped out the seeds. I must say that I do wear latex gloves when dealing with the seeds as they are "itching powder".  Dealing with this is rather labour intensive but is worth the effort. The shells are now in the oven on a very low setting together with my Pontack Sauce, which again is something I have not made before, although already it is smelling intriguing.  That needs a good 6 hours in the oven.  I have used a combination of red wine and red wine vinegar as the recipe I am using is one by Jill Nice from her book Home Made Preserves.

I also have a few more elderberries to string, as well as the rest of the berries from yesterdays session which are going into an elderberry and apple jelly, one spiced and one plain.  I still need to get some more elderberries for the wine.

I am hoping to go brambling tomorrow dependent on the weather as I still have a few projects that I would like to get done if at all possible using brambles and I must get some apples and crab apples.  Will have to see how things go.

.
I have sort of tried to focus on one main ingredient per day - with oddments like with the hawthorn and rosehips both of which are labour intensive, but will get some more of these tomorrow as they are much easier to process in smaller quantities.

There are still some other items I have my eye on, but I will write in a separate post about them as they have a more decorative value and are Christmas decoration orientated.

Still a lot to do - I just don't know where this week has gone. Mind you I have enjoyed myself in my own quiet way  I go back to work on Wednesday.  I have been on my own most of the time as OH plays a computer game which keeps him happy and out from under my feet.

We have had home made fish n chips for tea tonight with mushy peas which was quite tasty.  Well must get my bits together and go over and see my friend.  I am not sure what is on the agenda for tonight as she is putting up a young couple for a couple of weeks whilst their flat is decorated out.  It was supposed to be another preserving lesson.  Oh well we shall see what we shall see.

If any of you have birthdays in the next few days Many Happy Returnsand I hope its a good one.

Will play catch up later.

Take care 

Pattypan

xx

Comments

Popular Posts