Pear and Ginger Chutney

I have this cooking on the stove as we speak and it smells good.  I like chutneys with fresh root ginger in always gives them a bit of a kick and I love pears anyway ,although funnily enough I haven't made this particular recipe at all.  Will have to see how it all comes out and will let you know.

Ingredients

1oz of root ginger roughly chopped
1 tespoon of cloves
6lb pears peeled cored and chopped
1lb onions peeled and chopped
4oz stem ginger finely chopped
grated rind and juice of three oranges
1 1/2lb granulated sugar
11/2pints red wine vinegar

Cooking time about 2 hours
Tie the spices ie the root ginger and the clove into a little muslin bag and then place the rest of the ingredients into a large pan.  Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves.  Bring to the boil reduce the heat and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours or until the chutney is thick and leaves a trail in the pan when a wooden spoon is pulled across the base.  Remove the spice bag and spoon the chutney whilst it is still hot into pre-prepared sterlisied jars.  Seal with vinegar proof covers.

Makes approximately 4lb in weight but I added a little more pear and other ingredients than I should have done and I ended up with 5 jars and already it is tasting lovely.  Very much a chutney for a lady -think it would be good with Turkey and Chicken it is not heavy or dark and very scrummy.





NB The red vinegar I obtained from M & S for 99pence for a 500ml bottle, plus as the bottles are a nice shape I can recycle them for making cordial or vinegars etc.

If you want Cider Vinegar check out Holland and Barrett for a large bottle approx £3 or your local health food shop.

Comments

Popular Posts