Rhubarb Recipes

Rhubarb when I was growing up I wasn't keen on it cooked.  My preferred method of sampling rhubarb was the way my nan taught me a fresh stick out of the rhubarb patch dipped in some sugar when we got back into the kitchen.  Ugh you say - well there was a method in her madness it was one way of making sure that we were regular!  Anyway enough of that.  Little Clanger asked for some recipes for Rhubarb and I thought you ladies and gents might also like these recipes also.

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

2 medium onions
300ml cider vinegar
2 allspice berries
2 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick 1 tsp ground ginger
1 heaped tablespoon grated fresh ginger
300g soft light brown sugar
200g dried apricots
1kg rhubarb trimmed weight

Put the onions into a preserving pan or heavy based saucepan if you don't have a maslin/preserving pan together with the vinegar, spices and the fresh ginger and sugar.  Slowly bring the contents to the boil stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Chop up the apricots into small pieces and then add to the pan.  Wash the rhubarb and cut into 2 cm lengths.   Add the rhubarb to the pan and then bring up to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer until thickened (40 minutes or so but important that the chutney is thick) and the rhubarb has gone tender.

Remove the whole spices and pour the chutney into sterilised jars.  Cover and leave to cool.  Store for 4 weeks before serving to allow the flavours to develop.

Makes approximately 4 x 450g jars

Will update if I find any more recipes I think will be of interest

Pattypan

x

If you want to bottle rhubarb ( I bottled a load of forced rhubarb at the beginning of the year in a sugar syrup please have a look at these two tutorials to enable you to have a go.  You can always drain the storing syrup off and use it as a cordial with either some lemonade or spring water to make a refreshing drink and then use the rhubarb itself in a crumble or a pie.

This is the tutorial I used
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/gallery/2009/feb/24/rhubarb-bottling-preserve#/?picture=343103488&index=0

and I have also located this one as well

 http://www.nutmegsseven.co.uk/2011/04/bottled-rhubarb.html

Raspberry and Rhubarb Jam
 http://self-sufficientinsuburbia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/raspberry-and-rhubarb-jam.html

Oh and I have found this recipe for Rhubarb Champagne

 http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showthread.php?t=21219

Think I might have a go at this in the next few weeks or so would be nice for Christmas

Comments

Popular Posts