Its Sitr Up Sunday and Christmas is coming

Christmas is coming
The Geese are getting Fat
Please put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a hapenny will do
If  you haven't got a hapenny 
Then God bless you!

It would seem that Christmas is on its way - Its Stir Up Sunday today  - and I forgot!

I normally make my Christmas Puddings on Stir Up Sunday but not this year oohps its the reincarnation of the other year when I forgot! - since me not being well in February I have been more forgetful (was probably the bang on the head) but I do not seem to have got myself together very well. Oh b..! They will just have to be made next weekend (I am on holiday then) so should have time to get them done and out the way with.

Here is a post from a previous year including the recipe I normally use (a Delia one) although I have been known to fiddle with the ingredients and also use other recipes but this is the one I tend to come back to.


As a child, (we still have one lurking inside somewhere if we look hard enough) it was always the build up,  the magic of Christmas that appealed most of all.  Simple things like making the Christmas puddings on "Stir up Sunday" and having a stir with "the magic spoon" and making a wish was enough to fire any child's imagination, which we did each year - it was a family custom and a powerful tool.  You have to believe in the magic as the magic leads you to special things.  You do not have to wait for it you make your own special times with your own special traditions.

The same with the Christmas Tree  and the putting up of - pure magic.  Always put up in the afternoon when the grey of a December day started to turn into the pitch of the night; with ornaments brought out of an old wooden tea chest wrapped up in twists of tissue, glass precious baubles and the fairy in a gold ballerina dress with silver wings a wand and a crown on her head;  Plastic colored cut outs of the Magi, hung from the branches with care.  I was allowed to unwrap the treasures and hand them to mum  but Mum used to hang them from the tree and dress it up - and when the lights were switched off and the tree lights put on against the backdrop of a flickering warm fire it was pure magic a moment to savour.  Such were our Christmas traditions and they have followed on.  My brother with his children, mum doing the same with them and me with my tree and my step children.  It was always something to look forward too.   And that is the trick something to look forward to, no matter how simple or inexpensive it does not matter as long as you enjoy the moment.

I hope you get as much pleasure out of simple things as I do.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts