Lincolnshire Plum Bread

I am rather partial to Lincolnshire Plum Bread and love slices of it with proper butter on.  You can buy it commercially but it can be a tad expensive and  we are fond of fruit loaves of any description I have been on the look out for a recipe.  I have one in particular that I cannot lay my hands on at the moment but this is very similar

Ingredients

Fat for gresing
100g/4 oz prunes
100g/4 oz butter
100g/4 oz soft light brown sugar
2.5ml/ 1/2 a teaspoon ground mixed spice
2.5ml/ 1/2 a teaspoon ground cinnamon
2.5m;/ 1/2 a teaspoon of gravy browning (optional)
2 eggs lightly beaten
14ml/1 tablespoon of brandy
100g/4 oz sultanas
100g/4 oz currants
175g/6 oz self raising flour
pinch of salt

Method

Soak the Prunes overnight in cold water to rehydrate and plump up

Next day grease a loaf tin  9 x 5 x 3 inches and put the oven on to 140 degrees C/275 degrees F/Gas Mark 1.  Drain the Prunes well and pat dry.  Remove the stones and chop the prunes finely.

Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.  Beat in the spices and gravy browning if using.  Mix the eggs with the brandy then beat into the creamed mixture.  Toss the chopped prunes and other dried fruit into a little of the flour.  Mix the rest of the flour with the salt.  Fold into the creamed mixture then fold in the dried fruit.  Turn the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top.

Bake for 3 hours.  Cool in the tin.  When cold turn out and store in an airtight tin.

Enjoy

Since popping this post up I went and bought Prunes - it was only when I got back that I found some Agen Prunes I had forgotten about just means I have more ingredients to make more plum bread.  Lovely.

Comments

Popular Posts