Getting Ready for Christmas - 13 -Part - Mincemeat

I have various recipes for Mincemeat my most favourite recipe being that provided by my friend  Bovey Belle from one of the Farmers Weekly books which I shall make a scuttle full of after Christmas which uses a traditional method of preserving fermentation. Its also a recipe that uses up all sorts of bits and bobs i.e. dried fruit, spices, a little wine, apples, etc.  That needs time whereas I need something pretty quickly so I am trying this recipe.


I need some more to top up what I already have.  Yet again it is from the Farmers Weekly  but this time from "New Farmhouse Fare".

This Mincemeat is a cooked mincemeat

Mrs Lily Byfords Recipe for Mincemeat

Ingredients:

1lb peeled and chopped apples.
1lb soft brown sugar.
1lb currants.
1lb sultanas.
8oz mixed peel.
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
grated rind and juice if 2 oranges
1 teaspoon of ground mixed spice.
8oz butter

Combine all of the ingredients into a pan and then bring to the boil.  Simmer for about 15 minutes then allow to go cold before potting.

Makes approximately 7lb

Mincemeat is not just for Christmas you can use it all year round so you can never make too much mincemeat in this household at least. 

Catch you later on.

Pattypan


x

P.S.  I keep Apples in. Not everyone does.  They always used to come from my Nan's and it was only when she passed that I had to buy apples. We missed terribly having access to lots of apples both my mother and I.  However I never pay full whack for them i.e. supermarket prices I go to my veggie shop where I live and I also go to the market.  All my basics come from these sources.  At my veg shop she reduces the apples eating and cookers when they are starting not to look their best and I can usually get 1kg at a time for 50p.  I take eaters as well as you can still do something with them.   However I have some that need using up and I do not like waste so I make use of them in something that I will use.  For the main part whatever I do on the kitchen front I always have an eye on the budget as something saved doing one thing helps me do something extra or a little bit special down the line. 

PP

Comments

Popular Posts