Getting Ready for Christmas Part 18 Cinnamon Sugared Nuts

I love all things Nuts any  type of nut and I am particularly fond of Roasted Chestnuts.  I have a special pan which I bought from Lakeland about 20 years ago with holes in the bottom of the pan. Its more like a brazier pan but very effective and I buy in Chestnuts and roast them myself and eat them warm.  Scrummy.

My father got me addicted to them as a child.  I would be about 9 years of age and there used to be a stall in the run up to Christmas in the Market Square in Peterborough and that's where I had my first taste of Roasted Chestnuts.  It was a bitter day (very much like the past couple of days) and the nuts in their paper bag were hot but they warmed our hands and I liked.

However here is another way of enjoying nuts. I first came across them at Lincoln Christmas Market (another brilliant event to go to but please wrap up really well being on a hill it gets very cold there).

You can use a mixture of different nuts or just one particular variety but they are so Moorish. Yum.

You can use them as a nibble with coffee after the main event or in a nibble bowl on the treats table or just anytime and they are simple to make.

Ingredients:

1 egg white
450g/1lb assorted shelled nuts, such as hazlenuts, almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts
75g/3oz caster sugar
Pincb of salt
2.5ml/1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg

Method

Whisk the egg white with 1 teaspoon of cold water until well frothy.  Add the nuts, sugar salt and spices and stir well.

Spoon the mixture  evenly onto a couple of well greased baking sheets and cook at 110 degrees C (220 degrees F) Gas mark 1/4 for an hour.  Stir to distribute the nuts every 15 minutes or so.  Cool and store in an airtight container for up to three weeks.

Makes about 1lb in weight.  Not suitable for freezing.

Also suitable to make as a pressie.  if you were thinking of selling them at a fair to raise funds for a local charity, serve them in paper cones.

You will not be able to stop nibbling.

Catch you soon

Pattypan

x



Comments

  1. What an absolutely delicious recipe! I happen to have some nuts in the pantry and think I might try this tonight thanks for the idea love fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fluffy, it is definitely delicious. Well I think so anyway. But I love good food. Let me know how your playing goes and whether you like the results. Take care. Pattypan x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts