Toast and Honey




When we went to stay at our grandparents when we were little we always had home made bread served in thick slices toasted and then my grandfather's honey slathered all over it for breakfast and it used to be delish as the toast was always done on the Rayburn and the bread was cooked in there too. So this morning we decided that we were going to have simple toast for breakfast but then I remembered the untouched jar of honey I obtained from the farm.  I had drooled to myself when I saw it a it looked perfect.  I am funny with honey I like it set but it has to be the right consistency otherwise I am not keen. I mean sugar crystals but not hard and the honey then just spreads as you can see from the photo below and it is just divine on hot buttered toast.



The jar from the farm was £5.75 its a lot of money but if you like it - it is not.  This is an optimum product - it is pure and has not been blended with loads of other honey as per the big brands such as Gales.  That's why I always like to try and find a local producer.

When I did my Beekeeping course many moons ago at Sacrewell Farm in Peterborough we were taught a lot by a traditional beekeeper an old boy who knew his stuff.  One thing I did come out of that course with was an appreciation of the bee; and what it brings to our lives.  We would not eat if it was not for this small intrepid insect as it pollinates all the plants that produce our food.

As soon as I can I will have my bees.  I am going to be planting bee friendly plants so that they can live and co-exist with us and collect their nectar.  I cannot here because of the next door neighbour.  He has heart issues and the bees coming home to the hive or swarming would send him into a right twist.  They cannot even cope with bumble bees. And as we are rented  - its less hassle as I do not want the landlord breathing down my neck either.  But it does irk me.

Labelling with honey can get a bit dodgy as well as you cannot always guarantee that the bees have produced their honey from one particular plant and therefore it is wrong to label the honey as one specific variant as it depend on what is available to the bees.  It can be a predominant ingredient but not sole as the honey is produced from a range of pollens that become blended in the hive.

So this morning I have dined with the gods on bread and honey.  What a lovely start to the day.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts