Elderflower Blossom and Strawberry Jam

Its been a busy pottering afternoon after we got home from mum's.  I managed to get the car unloaded and all the pots are in the garden ready for during the course of the week where I can to get them filled and sorted.  Unfortunately I have been shanghaied with the mini greenhouses will try and do something with that tomorrow night but I also have plans to get some of the boxes into the car for OH to take to the unit.  Then we have tea, ironing etc. and usual chores so will have to get done what I can when I can. 

We walked Missy and I took advantage of going with OH to walk her to collect some elderflowers for cordial.  I thought I would do a couple of batches and then bottle the cordial heat preserving them in my pasteuriser.  If you make the cordial yourself you can turn it into yummy other dishes like Elderflower Sorbet or Elderflower ice cream.

That's the plan anyway.  I have been sat with a fork gently teasing all the flowers off the stalks as you do not need any green bits in the syrup as it is that which can affect its flavour.   I have been doing this whilst watching Dick Strawbridge and Angel do further work on the Chateau they have purchased. 

Prior to that we had tea which was roast chicken that I cooked last night.  I managed to get a reduced chicken and because it has been so muggy I cooked it when it was a bit cooler last night.  We did have it with veggies and gravy new potatoes, green beans, peas, carrots, broccoli and caul mix and Yorkshire puddings.  It went down a treat.

I still have plans for having a go at Elderflower liqueur, Elderflower wine, Elderflower Champagne.  I also want to get hold of some gooseberries and make Elderflower and Gooseberry jam.  I have previously prepared quite a few posts on what to do with Elderflowers.  If you type in Elderflowers on the search facility it should bring them all up.  I also want to make some Elderflower Sorbet.

I also have the jam pan on with some strawberry jam.  I have already made one batch this is the second as I just love strawberry jam.  Its lovely on croissants for breakfast (one of my weaknesses) as well as in a Victoria sponge cake, school boys earholes (jam tarts) and coconut cheesecakes.  I crush the strawberries so you do not get any lumps in the jam with a potato masher. 

Right I had better get a wriggle on else I will never be done.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts