Salt, Salt and Salt

and maybe at some point Sea Salt as well.  I like to keep this in but I have noted that I am running low.  I bought curing salt, Prague Powder 1 and 2, a salami kit, a culture for helping with salami curing and various other little bits and bobs and sausage/salami casings which are to be stored in the fridge.  I even bought some Agar Agar gelatin as well.  I did not expect it all to arrive on the same day and it was from three different companies.  I am still waiting for the Prague powders maybe they will come tomorrow.  However I am getting the bits and bobs together so that I am organised and I can set too and play once the house is sorted out a bit I have so much that I want to do.

I also purchased some boning tweezers to remove the pin bones on the salmon.

The hog casings are in the fridge and I have a new book by Paul Peacock (well to me anyway) "make your own bacon and ham"....and other salted, smoked and cured meats.  On first glance there is an awful lot of practical information in there.  There are also a lot of simple recipes in which to use up your preserved meat as well.


Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. It certainly sounds like you are really organized Tricia. I look forward to seeing what you make. I used to make my own sausages (and have a machine to help stuff them) but then it got too expensive buying in the meat, and the hog casings and crumb and I stopped doing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great links, good to come back to if they are needed in the future x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,

      Have you done anything like this before - I see your husband is a butcher or is that on the list of things for the future in the grand scheme of things. Would love to hear. Take care. Pattypanxx

      Delete
  3. Hi BB [hugs]....I have tried to organise things so that I get bits at a time and then its full steam ahead when it comes to bringing it altogether. The meat side is still a learning curve for me. Can you remember when I did not bottle and it was thanks to you and the other ladies that I dipped my toe in and had a go; and with the beautiful mincemeat recipe you shared. We get some very good offers on the meat at our local Cash and Carry and there is also a local Butchers who supplies all the markets in this area as well as having loads of different frozen stuffs and fresh meat or I thought I would source some of the offers in the supermarkets. We both like pick and mix antipasti style suppers I just thought it would be good to take it to the next stage. Once the shed is done I intend to get back to the winemaking as well but I think that will be for the New Year. I had not realised that you had done your own sausages before. I have a meat mincer with the sausage nozzles on and intend to use that. To tell truth it is the pastrami, salami, etc that I am particularly interested in and the ham. Once I have the shed sorted I can then concentrate on the cave and having a go with some jerky as well.

    Take care my sweetheart be kind to yourself. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts