Blushing Strawberry Wine

This recipe is taken from a very useful preserving book that I go to time and time again called "Clearly Delicious".  It is written by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz and I think is out of print but you may be able to get hold of a copy from a second hand dealer or Internet book supplier.

The ISBN Number is: 0-7513-0090-X.

It is not a recipe I have tried as yet but it may get made in the next couple of days or so.  I am not sure it is long keeping but I would like to think it is although don't quote me on that.  However it strikes me that it could be.  I have a similar peac/apricot recipe which has a shot of vodka in it.  Will see if I can get this made tonight hopefully with the Crème de Menthe.  I can but try,  In the book it is referred to as:

"A very refreshing early summer drink which can be served undiluted or in long tall glasses with a splash of sparking water or wine". so the recipe says.

Ingredients:

225g/9oz of Strawberries
3 sprigs of fresh Lemon balm
1 sprig of Rosemary
1 sprig of fresh hyssop (a form of mint apparently which is more flowery) 
1 bottle of semi-sweet Rose wine

Hull and slice the Strawberrries.  Lightly bruise the herbs to release their flavours.  Put the Strawberries and herbs into a sterilised jar and pour in the wine.

Seal the jar and shake well.  Keep in a cool dark place for two days before using to allow the flavours to develop.  Shake the jar from time to time.

Line a funnel with a double layer of muslin and strain the flavoured wine through it and then decant into sterilised bottles.  Seal the bottles, label and keep in the refrigerator.  The wine is now ready to use.  I intend to pop mine into my wine chillers so it may keep longer this way.

Makes about 900ml or 1 1/2 pints.

I think this needs to be experimented with.  Something to take me away from the Dehydrator!

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

P.S. I do not have any hyssop and apparently it is a form of grown up mint   am wondering whether I can pop a little mint into it.

Comments

Popular Posts