Checking on the wild fruits

Because of the weather last week being so atrocious I did not get to go and forage for my second lot of sloes.  I have 2 litres of sloe gin soaking at the moment but I would like some more sloes for making a  mixed wildberry jelly as well as sloe jelly.  

I went to check on them today and although some of the bushes had been picked there are still an awful lot there so I am hoping to go one night after work or on the weekend next week to add a few more bits and bobs to the larder shelf.  Anything to make my larder/pantry shelf that little bit different is very welcome.

I am very fond of pheasant, especially served my Nan's way interleaved with chicken.  Cooked simply like a roast chicken but with foil over to keep the moisture in and for much less time.  However we cannot bear pheasant if it has been hung.  It stinks the house out when cooking.  We know from personal experience.  It has to be fresh and it has a delicate flavour.  It is something I am particularly fond of and have been since I was a child.  The wildberry jelly goes well with meats like this and as we also have cold cuts at Christmas it is good to put with the Turkey or with brie or other softer cheeses oh and don't forget the pickled onions.

So all being well I will get my foraging fix later on in the week.

Its getting colder at night and the heating has been on once or twice this week already.  Just wish had the log fire to really warm the house up I think it would make all the difference.  I know you get the dust and mess but you can't really beat a proper fire especially in the chill of the cooler months or when it has been snowing outside.  

When I was first married and owned my own house we had a coal fire and it really gave out a monumental amount of heat and was so cosy.  But he decided to have one the living gas flame fires installed in its place and it was efficient but I did miss the log fire in its truest sense.

I still have my companion set, the copper coal scuttles and brass ones  and other paraphernalia and lots of copper and brass ornaments including one of my Nan's copper kettles (which was actually in use during her parents marriage).  I have also another one to go with it.

Well had better get ready for work.  Another long week ahead but hopefully will get foraging.

Catch you later on.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts