Honeycomb



We all know of honeycomb whether we realise it or not. It is the centre in a crunchie bar, is known as Yelloman in Ireland and in other places by other names.  It is fairly straightforward to make but remember when you put the bicarbonate of soda in it will bubble up fast so you need to be ready to pour it into the tin. Have everything ready beforehand.  It is also seriously over-priced come Christmas for what it actually is.  I love this but will not buy it at Christmas I prefer to make my own.

Here's the recipe:  Another one for the Christmas sweetie tray.


Ingredients:

1lb granulated sugar
1/4 pint of water
A pinch of cream of Tartar
2 rounded tablespoons golden syrup
1 level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 teaspoons water to dissolve bicarbonate of soda


Method:

Butter a tin 12 x 4 inches.

Dissolve the sugar, water, cream of Tartar and golden syrup over a low heat in a 4 pint heavy based saucepan stirring gently with the thermometer.  Bring to the boil and boil gently to 310 degrees F (hard crack stage).  Remove from the heat.  Blend the bicarbonate of soda with the 2 teaspoons of water
 and add to the toffee.  Stir gently and pour at once into the tin.  Mark into squares or fingers when half set using a buttered knife.


Makes 1lb approximately

You can always break it into pieces and cover it with chocolate as well.

So the stores that charge £5 upward for the privilege are over-egging the price really.  The bag of sugar can be purchased near me for 75p (no doubt is much cheaper elsewhere) and really is the most expensive item in the list.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I have always made my own honeycomb or Cinder Toffee the name that I know it by. Trouble is I just want to sit and eat it as soon as possible. The same with Rose Turkish Delight or marshmallows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam

    I am very much the same which is why I don't make it that often. I also make my own Turkish Delight; have yet to attempt marshmallows but it is on the cards. Take care pattypanxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts