Pumpkin

I have written extensively about pumpkins before and I always get at least a couple as I make a breakfast marmalade from pumpkin which is very yummy.  Please see http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/pumpkin-and-squash.html for the recipe and one of my previous posts on pumpkin.

There is also another recipe for a chutney here:

http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/carrying-on-with-pumpkin-theme.html

I first had pumpkin when I went to Australia.  I had it roasted and it has been a love affair ever since.  I always put some up in the freezer for use with out Sunday dinner.  Veggies are good for you any way.  However I am always on the look out for different recipes and I have another one which I intend to have a go at; this being one of my new recipes for this year.

This recipe is from the Sarah Raven "Food for Friends and Family Cookbook".  I like her cookbooks and I like her recipes.

The recipe is for a chutney but this time a Pumpkin and Chilli Chutney.  You can use Butternut Squash as well according to what Ms Raven says/

Ingredients:

500g  pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and chopped into small dice.
275ml white wine vinegar
500g soft brown or demerara sugar
1-2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
25g of fresh root ginger peeled and finely chopped
6 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 medium onion finely chopped
100g of raisins
1 tablespoon of salt

Method:

Place the pumpkin in a heavy-based, stainless steel pan with 600ml of water.  Bring to the boil and cook for about 15 minutes until tender.  Add the vinegar and sugar and stir well and bring back to the boil.


When the sugar has dissolved add the remaining ingredients and cook rapidly for 45-50 minutes stirring well to stop sticking.  Leave to cool.

Pour the chutney into dry warmed sterilised jars.  Cover each jar with a waxed disc then seal and label with the date.

Store in a cool place for at least a couple of months before opening as the flavours will improve.  Unopened it keeps for years.  Once open store in the fridge and eat within the month.

Looking forward to trying this one.  Think OH might like this one.

Just have time to make this before Christmas or the marmalade.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x


Comments

Popular Posts