Squirrel or Hedgehog

It is getting very chilly at night so much so I am having to pop the heating on for a little while each day.  When I get up and in the evening when I get in although I try not to put it on unless I have to.  Unfortunately if my hands get cold I have had it so the heating has to go on.  The animals do not mind and seem to relish the heat.

I think I must also be a bit of a hedgehog in that when the nights start to get darker I just want to hibernate and not do much but I know I have to keep whittling away at things to try and keep on top of things.  Its just good to get into the house and be comfy; with soft lighting so it is not harsh on my eyes although when I am typing on the keyboard I do need the full light these days.  However of an autumn or winter's evening I prefer softer lighting which is more atmospheric.   I quite frequently also have just candlelight as well. I cannot do close work like needlepoint or embroidery under such lighting but I can still crochet.  So at this time of year I very much turn into a hedgehog want to keep warm and snug in my own home.  We do not venture far.  The finishing touch would be a couple of log fires one in the dining room and one in the front room to curl up in front of and heat the house.  The heat from a proper fire is wonderful on a cold winters day.

Equally when it comes to the preserving I am very much a Squirrel.  I put everything down in the pantry (or should that be up) so that we have plenty of supplies to carry us through the winter months.  I enjoy doing it and I love having the option of different foods to cook with and I know there are no nasties in them.  I am the same with the freezers and the winemaking etc.  It gives me a great deal of satisfaction to look at a shelf of preserves I have made knowing that I have ingredients to use in meals for quite some time to come.

I invested in a new to me wine rack yesterday from the Charity shop (I will take a picture at a later date).  I am going to need the storage as this weekend I have a marathon wine making session ear-marked and so I will need the storage for those bottles.  I also have in mind that I want to get some Apple pop underway, some cider, and apple juice as well as ginger beer.  There are also a few more cordials I would like to get put up. I also have to sort the shed out and get my barbecue and pizza oven put away and all my bottles sorted and stored correctly so that I can find them.  I tend to use the shed as an overflow from the kitchen so all bulky items also get stored in there.  However it does need a good sort out especially with Christmas on its way.

Preserving is not the only thing I am a squirrel with though. I am the same when I see things that I like and I have a view to decorate a room I will collect things together until I am ready to use them so it does overspill in a big way to all areas of my life.  I think I am an inveterate squirrel in this respect.

So hedgehog or squirrel you decide or maybe I am just me a hybrid a little bit of both.  Whatever the term decided upon I get a great deal of pleasure in doing what I do.  I may not have the smallholding/land or the livestock, its something I aspire to, but at least I get to practice in other areas whilst in waiting for the dream home - I am convinced it will come when the time is right  - eventually.

Right I have to get ready for my last day at work this week tomorrow.  It has been a long week and a tiring one.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x






Comments

  1. You're a very beautiful squirrel :D They like to nest and be sure of food for the winter. There's nothing prickly about you dear PP.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Yarrow xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Squirrel or hedgehog mmmmm, just like you I am a blend of both. Unlike you though I run on the warm side so when the SO whinges about being cold I tell him to put a jumper on. When the heating does go on I will be whining about how hot it is and stripping down to a tee shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam

    I am cold because of the Raynauds a lot of the time and I wear lots of jumpers on a daily basis layering up to try and keep from putting the heating on. Wish I did not have to. OH gets too warm and is the complete opposite. Glad I am not the only Squirrell/Hedgehog mix. Glad you got out to play in a Patchwork shop for a few days. Bet you were in seventh heaven. Take care. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts