Visit to the Hairdressers

This morning I have spent mostly in the hairdressers (been there about for 3 hours for a colour, a wash and a set)  I am turning into my mother (well not on the colour but definitely the set - although this is a different kind of set to what she used to have).

For many years I have lived straight over the road from my hairdressers salon so I only have to walk straight across the road.  As a younger person I only had my hair trimmed every so often as really I did not like anyone messing with my hair. Going to the hairdressers was an "Endurance" rather than a pleasure probably due to the fact that someone else was in "my space" rather than anything else, but that is the way I was.

My hair has always been very fine but a lot of it so if it got into a "cott" a nice old fashioned English word meaning tangle boy did it get in a mess and it was often painful trying to untangle it. Especially when my hair was a lot longer (although as I have got older my hair is gradually getting shorter although still about shoulder level).   As a result I probably used the hairdresser at most three times a year and sometimes not at all.I have never been one to take care of myself.  I am good at looking after everyone else but not me.

However as I have got older my hair has got a bit thinner still very fine though and I have been seeking the assistance of the hairdresser more and more.  I had decided earlier in the year that I was going to try and take care of myself that little bit more and my vain spot is my hair.  I am gradually going grey around the gills specifically on the left hand side and I have left my hair but ended up with a "Mallen streak" just like my mother which I have not coped with very well as it has made me feel ancient.  So for me it is a necessity to have my hair done every six to seven weeks.  I am only 58 - I don't feel old for my age although my body does not co-operate and I refuse to be defined by my medical conditions.  I suppose what I am saying is that I am now looking on my trip to the hairdressers as a treat.  It makes me feel good about myself even though I am no oil painting and am just me. and more importantly gives a boost to my confidence (which is never very high anyway).

Or perhaps it is me being more accepting of myself in the longer term and trying to look presentable and tidy.  Well that is what I aim for anyway. especially as I have to look neat for work.   My hairdresser is good and does a mean trim but she also tries to sort out something hairstyle wise that suits you and is easily manageable.  Her ethos is that everyone spends money at the hairdressers (which is all well and good for her) but that person cannot always maintain and manage to care for their hair properly when at home, which I think is very practical and perceptive.  She suggested to me six to seven weeks for my hair and has given me tips on how to look after my hair in the interim.

Whilst I was waiting for my hair to cure with the colour, I was offered a magazine and a drink which is the norm and then left to cook for about 40  minutes.  During this period I was watching and listening to what was going on in the shop.  The salon was vibrant and energetic with each client coming in with a little bit of what was going on in their lives and catching up with their hairdresser and what was happening with them.  A meeting place a catch up place for everyone and I found it fascinating.  One hairdresser was off to London for the weekend to go to a show The Lion King and then visit the Shard.  Another going off to Berlin to visit her son and making a weekend of it.  Another client of to Seville to visit family all very cosmopolitan. Some of the clients having their hair done to attend a wedding later in the day

They have a young trainee in the shop who is lovely and really nice natured and good with all the clients no matter the age.  I never recognise her as she is so experimental with her hair and her makeup which is a little way out at times but very much suits her.  She is an experimental type of person which I think is really good if you want to be a Hairdresser and a Beautician.  However she is very good at washing and massaging your hair.  She nearly sends me to sleep she is that good.  

So I have gone from being evading the hairdressers to very much enjoying the experience and budgeting to have that one session every six to seven weeks as a treat to myself.  Its funny really in the greater scheme of things because as a youngster we used to take the mick out of my mum for going on a regular basis and I am now without realising it carrying on that process that tradition. I think it must be a stage you get to in life. So what goes around comes around and catches us all at some point in our lives.

Needless to say I feel very good at the moment as I know I have been tidied up.  A little bit of my favourite perfume Jon Paul Gaultier's "Classique" and I shall feel on top of the world.  Pity I am not going out anywhere for a meal but that may be something that is on the list for this weekend in any event.

Is there something that you do or need that makes you feel better about yourself in the longer term and are you like me trying to keep yourself tidy and look after yourself in the longer term as well as keep maintenance of yourself in the interim.  I can do a basic set and have coloured friend's hair at home from one of the DIY sets but I cannot get my arms up easily to the back of my head to do fancy plaits or style my hair which I have quite fancied from time to time.  Can any of you do this for yourselves and what are your hints and tips for someone who would like to try.  Would love to know.

Catch you later.

Pattypan

x

Comments

  1. I love the hairdressers too. But I am a lifelong fan. My mantra is I cant change my face but oh boy I can change my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that one. Pattypan xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really go to the hairdressers unless I really need to and don't dye my hair, but I'm lucky as I haven't any grey yet! It is quite expensive and I would usually rather spend the money on something for the house. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fluffy, I have done that repeatedly for the past 30 years or so buy something for the house, or buy something for someone else. A little grey is not much of a problem but when it starts spreading where you don't want it to that is a different matter. As I have said I have never been one to mess around with my hair, keeping it quite simple. Didn't you know there is still a 19 year old inside me screaming to be let out. Fortunately my colour is more or less my natural colour anyway I have not gone for anything different and by choice I would not have a colour put on at all. However I don't do grey. My hair now just needs touching up every so often! Take care. Pattypanxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts