Planming for good Roasties

We have had pork for tea this evening roasted with all the trimmings. We shall have it one more time before Christmas - this is a routine that I have every year in that I cook a pork roast and gather the dripping solely for use in the Christmas Roasties. I also like Goose fat but often think that the pork dripping from such a joint makes the best Roasties going.  My mother in law taught Jess told me to add lard to the cooking juices of the pork  The pork is raised on a grid and then the meat juices drip into the fat.  I have a deep roasting tray with a rack and so this is what I do.  I add about 1lb of lard. It is popped in the meat tray at the beginning of the cooking. It flavours well and then we have pork dripping for doing the Roasties but also for on bread.  Yum.  Most of you are going yuk at this point but I tell you it works really well.

When doing my Roasties I always blanch potato halves or quarters for about 10 minutes.  I then drain in a colander with a saucepan lid over the potatoes.  I cook shallots prior to the potatoes until they start to caramelise and then I add the  the potatoes to the hot dripping and turn the potato all the way round so that it is liberally coated.  I also add a couple of pinches of sea salt scattering it liberally over the potatoes.  The shallots can also be served with the Roasties for dinner.  Helps give a bit more colour to the potatoes as well.  I have found from experience that beef or pork is best for the dripping as you always get a nice colour but poultry can be wishy washy and sometimes the potatoes just do not want to brown.  So the Sunday before Christmas we will be having roast pork for dinner just so that we can have scrummy Roasties.  The meat juices from Pork and from Beef also add a lovely flavour to the gravy.  I make gravy the old fashioned way with veg juices or veg stock (home made).  Now if I had a really big cold pantry I would have a go at making my own Consomme

My mum always reckoned that the food had to be tasty (and hers generally was very good - apart from the time she served up Tripe and Onions - the three of us were not impressed) but that is another story.  Her mum and my other grandmother as well as my mum always reckoned that it was the gravy that was the crowning glory to a meal.  Me I love lashings of gravy - not swimming but quite a bit - not a dribble you want to taste it.

What are your views on Roasties and Gravy - do you make in a similar way or have an alternative method.  Would love to hear from you.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

xx


P.S. am still slaving away in the shed and we are seeing a llight at the end of the tunnel.  OHs tools are now easily findable!

Catch you soon

PP

PPS.  Should have also mentioned that when the pork dripping is ready and before it sets I decant it into an old pudding bowl (one where the glaze has come off) and cover and store it in the fridge.  Each time there is a use for it just bring the bowl out and take what you want.  It will keep in the fridge like this for a good couple of weeks and I also use it for doing Bubble and Squeak as well.

Comments

  1. Your way of doing potatoes sounds delicious. I don't cook big pork roasts very often, but this is the season with cold enough weather to do so.
    Around here (near St Louis, Missouri) most of the pork is trimmed to the point where there isn't much fat at all. I have to buy what they call a "picnic" roast and it is so giant that it takes forever to cook all the way through. It is the only cut of pork roast that I see anymore that has the type of drippings that you wrote about. Even pork chops are trimmed of all but the smallest bit of fat along the edge. That makes them dry to me.
    One of this type of roast turns out to be at least 6 meals with leftovers, so I cut up the roast after the first meal, figure out what I want to make with the leftovers, make several different packets, and label them to freeze until I'm ready to use them.
    I usually just make baked potatoes, maybe you call them potatoes in jacket, but I have made something similar to roasties by cooking the potatoes, cut in chunks, in with the roast, I put carrots, and sometimes onion sliced thick, in with them to roast.With the giant roasts I have to take the carrots out early sometimes if the roast takes longer than I expected to get done.
    You have me starving for pork roast and "roasties" now. My husband and I rarely eat gravy, I like it, but very seldom take time to make any. He just likes potatoes, boiled or roasted, with only a sprinkle of salt. I guess he is a potato purist. I put a bit of salt and butter on mine.
    It has just turned cold and wintery here yesterday. This week we will probably have our first light snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, it is a tasty way of doing the potatoes. My OH is a roast potato nut so they tend to feature quite a lot with a roast. I do tend to buy a larger joint than I actually need as I have found that although it takes a lot longer to cook it cooks more evenly and then I freeze either as individual meals or just in gravy in the freezer. That way we get the most out of the ingredients. Its funny how from county to county here and in different countries how the presentation varies. I am of the opinion that a little fat actually makes the meal tastier in the long run. If you like gravy make up a batch and freeze it into individual pots so that at least you get to have some now and then. We have snow here today the first real fall of snow for us here in Peterborough. We are low lying and only tend to get the snow when it is particularly difficult in the surrounding villages. Take care and keep warm. Pattypanxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Hello, thank you for popping by

Popular Posts