Seville Oranges

For all of you ladies (and gents) who make their own Seville Orange Marmalade Waitrose have the Seville Oranges in at £2.97 per kilo.  They are sorted into 1kg small boxes so a good place to start if you cannot get them locally.

Never made marmalade before here is a link to how I make marmalade.  I hope it inspires those of you who have never made marmalade before to have a go.  It really is worth it.

http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/seville-orange-marmalade-1.html

Remember you an use marmalade in cakes, in puddings etc.  It is not just for slapping on toast.

Funnily enough I had, had a long conversation at the veg shop about them and they asked if I wanted any as people were already making enquiries so I am hopefully going to be able to get mine next Saturday.  Marmalade is not the only thing I do with Seville Oranges though.  I also make Seville Orange Curd and Vin d'Orange which is lovely at Christmas.  The main reason why I do make it.  You can make it with white, red and rose wine.

Here is a link for a Seville Orange Meringue, a recipe for Seville Orange Curd and Seville Orange marmalade courtesy of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.


I always freeze a couple of batches of the prepared oranges for making a batch or batches later on in the year.  It comes in handy for extra Christmas pressies or to stock up your own pantry if you have somehow managed to get through a lot more than you usually do.


There are links here earlier on the blog.




Marmalade on thick slices of bread that have been toasted on the Aga or Rayburn was a favourite at my grandparents'.  The taste of the hot buttered toast with the marmalade on divine.  It is very much one of my customs and something that I enjoy very much.

From the Cottage Smallholder Gilbert's Seville Orange Gin


A recipe for Seville Orange and Apricot Chutney (not tried this yet)


A Seville Orange Posset recipe, dried Seville orange skin, Seville Orange Treacle Tart with marmalade and ice cream; Bigarade sauce. A tart orange sauce normally the sauce that is served with Duck a'lorange.


Seville Orange Vodka 


Seville Orange cake


And Seville Orange Mousse with almond thins.  This sounds nice.


So there is an awful lot that you can do besides make Marmalade with the Seville Orange.  I must say that I am looking forward to making this year's batch(es).  Its a necessity in this household.

Catch you soon.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts