Simple things are the best

Well it has been a very busy day as I suspected it would be.  My colleague and I have just not stopped all day long.  Its been the kind of day where time has got away from us and we have not been aware of it as we have had our heads down none stop.  But it has kept us out of mischief and we have not been bored.  We were very glad to leave the office this evening.

I was unable to meet my friend for lunch - it will be next week before I will be able to do so. I have quite a hectic schedule on the lunch front this week meeting several friends.  

Today I had to go into town to pick up a pair of smart black trousers for work.  I have gradually been replacing the old ones which are now too big for me and they will get recycled at the Charity shop at the weekend as they are still in good condition but too big for me. You have heard the song baggy trousers.  That was me until recently trousers too large and baggy. So I picked them up, bought a couple of jumpers and some new undies, went and got a sarnie and a bottle of water and went back to the office for round two.

We have had a lovely simple tea this evening.  We had the plain haddock that I bought from Waitrose floured and seasoned then fried gently in a little butter and lard (just a scraping to help stop the butter burning so much even on a gentle heat). I always start off by frying skin down and then after a couple of minutes turn and cook and then turn back after about five minutes or so making sure that the fish is well balanced.  When I turned it the fish had flaked  although not fallen apart so I knew it was cooked and not over cooked.  It was served simply with some home made chips and some mushy peas and it was absolutely delicious.  I am not a fan of frozen filleted fish.  To me freezing fish changes the texture and the taste that delicate deliciousness which we lost none of doing it the way that I did.  They were two large tail pieces that not only being larger than I though were thicker as well.  The two pieces cost me £7.  1kg of the haddock was £16.99 so that equates to approximately £3.50 per fillet.  And do you know it really was worth every penny.

We have finished off with a cream and strawberry pastry case and that was delicious too.  Sorry I forgot to take photos but both the main and the pudding were excellent and I am now suitably stuffed.

Whilst eating tea OH and I were discussing my Nan.  Nan loved fresh fish and she was very good at cooking it. After my grandfather died - it left Nan in a bit of a state and very lonely and so as I had moved back home just before he passed  as I had got divorced and so I used to go and spend the weekend with her.  That is when I got to know my Nan who was a real character.  I would arrive on a Friday night either by Coach or on the back of my Dad's motorbike and tea would be waiting for us both.  Friday night was fish night at my Nan's  - I never knew it any different.  So when I arrived on a Friday night we used to have a "home made fish supper" with mushy peas and home made chips. (Note the handmade  - now you know where I get it from). Nan used to make her own batter.  It consisted of about a cup of flour, 2 eggs, some vinegar and a dab of custard powder. (the custard powder was for a little colour) It all used to be beaten up and then the fish used to be dipped quickly in flour and then into the batter until it was well covered and then the fish was shallow fried until golden.  It used to do my mum's head in because although she was a very good cook she could never get the batter just like my Nan did. 

Tomorrow night I think it will be steak pie but that might change dependent on OH.  He knew what he was having for tea this evening but it was not overly appealing to him.  However,  he has eaten the lot  - he enjoyed it too.  So we will see but I am planning on steak pie with veggies and gravy.

Oh before I go, I had to nip to the shop for some pain killers for OH and whilst there I looked in the reduced section and scored for sirloin steaks at £1.27 apiece.  Four of these have come home with me as that will make four meal sof his Highness.

Right I had better get a wriggle on; I am tired tonight and I had hoped to do a little sorting however I think I am going to have an early night and do a little bit of reading.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.

Take care.

Pattypan

x

Comments

Popular Posts